• Jon Kohan

Johnstown Heroes Cup - Day One

Written by: David Nicoletti

Before the Johnstown Tomahawks took on the Maryland Black Bears for game one of the Robertson Cup Playoffs on Friday, the 1ST SUMMIT ARENA hosted the Johnstown Heroes Cup for the first of its three-day tournament. Teams that are featured in this tourney included the Johnstown Generals, Pittsburgh Warthogs, Philadelphia Police, Pittsburgh Fire, Johnstown Warriors. and the Johnstown Fire/Police. So without further adieu, let’s get started.

For game one of six on day one, the Johnstown Generals would kick us off by taking on the Pittsburgh Warthogs for a 10 a.m. start. The first period would see the Generals taking control of the first 17 minutes. Captain Ben Urban would score two goals, followed by a goal by defenseman Sean Mullen to make it a 3-0 game early in the contest.

Pittsburgh’s Schreckengost would make it 3-1 minutes later, giving the Warthogs their first goal of the game. The period would then come to a close with a Generals goal from Jeremy Romesburg, making it 4-1 Generals after one.

Brian Reighard, Ben Urban (HT), and Sean Mullen (2nd) would then make it 7-1 to kick off the second period. Pittsburgh would respond with two goals of their own to make it 7-3 midway through. Urban would then score two more goals to make it 9-3 Generals, as the second period would come to a close.

Schreckengost would then score his second of the game to kick off the third period by making it now a 9-4 game. Anthony Seybold would then halfway through putting up the Generals 10th goal of the game, followed by a Sean Mullen hat-trick, ending the game as the Generals would take it over Pittsburgh at a final score of 11-4.

Coming up next we would see an 11:20 a.m. contest between the Philadelphia Police and the Pittsburgh Fire. The first 17 minutes would be all Philadelphia, as they would put a five-goal lead on the Fire in the game’s first frame. #17 (3), #27, and #10 would get the goals for the Police.

Philadelphia would start the second by scoring three more goals from #10, #27, and #55 to make it 8-0. Pittsburgh would then get their first goal of the game minutes later. But Philadelphia’s #55 would increase the Police lead to 9-1 after 34 minutes of play.

The Police would then make it a 10-1 game to kick off the third period from #27. Pittsburgh would then score three unanswered goals from #16, #92, and #22 to cut the Police lead to 10-4. Philadelphia would respond, and then Pittsburgh shortly after. The final score would come out to the Philadelphia Police taking it over the Pittsburgh Fire 13-5, as two more Police goals would be scored to end the contest.

Up next would be a 12:40 p.m. contest between the Johnstown Misfits and the Pittsburgh Warthogs. The Warriors would get the game started by scoring the opening goal. But the Warthogs would take control for the rest of the period, scoring three unanswered goals to make it a 3-1 Pittsburgh game after one.

Pittsburgh would add one in the second to make it 4-1 as 34 minutes have officially passed. Johnstown would score one in the third to cut the lead in half 4-2. They would then be awarded a penalty shot and capitalize on it with 44 seconds remaining to make it a 4-3 game now. But that would be all she wrote, as Pittsburgh would hold on to take it over Johnstown.


Next up, the Johnstown Generals would return to the ice for a 2 p.m. contest against the Philadelphia Police.

The first period would be full of action, as 10 goals would be scored in the game's first 17 minutes. Philadelphia would kick it off by scoring four goals off of the sticks of #27, #17, #19, and #10 early in the contest. Sean Mullen would then get the Gens their first goal of the game moments later. Philly’s #27 would score his second, then Brian Reighard and Ben Urban would add to the total. Ending it with #27 and #55 making it a 7-3 game for Philadelphia after one.

Philadelphia would then add five more goals in the second frame to increase their lead on the Generals to 12-3 heading into the final frame. #17 for Philly and Urban for Johnstown would add one goal to their team's frame in the final 17 minutes. The game would come to a close as the Police would take it over the Generals 13-4.



Next up would be a 3:20 p.m. contest, as the Johnstown Fire/Police would take on the Johnstown Misfits. The Fire/Police would get the game kicked off first, as #12 would score two goals to make it 2-0 for their side after one period of play.

Fire/Police would then get three more goals from #21, #77, and #5 to make it a 5-0 for them heading into the final frame.

Fire/Police #10 would add one more goal to make it 6-0. The Misfits would then close out the game by scoring two goals in the final minutes of the game. The Fire/Police would take this one at a final score of 6-2.


Our final game on the day would feature the Johnstown Fire/Police once again, this time they would take on the Pittsburgh Fire for a 4:40 p.m. start. Pittsburgh would get the game's first goal off of the stick of #16. Johnstown’s #12 would respond to tie it, but the Fire would add two more goals to make it a 3-1 Pittsburgh game after one period of play.

Johnstown would tie the game up early in the second with two unanswered goals to make it 3-3. Pittsburgh would then respond and take the lead back as #35 would make it 4-3. Johnstown would later tie it back up as #77 would light the lamp to make it 4-4. Johnstown’s #20 (PP), and #5 would score to take us into the third frame as the Fire/Police would be up 6-4.

Fire/Police would then score four goals to make it a 10-4 game. Pittsburgh would add two more late in the contest, as Johnstown would take it over the Fire at a final score of 10-6, ending day one of the tournament.



98 views0 comments