• Jon Kohan

Expert Coaching Beats the Generals in Charity Game

Photos and Article by David Nicoletti

Players on the Johnstown Generals get instructions from their coach before the puck dropped in their exhibition hockey game vs the Johnstown Warriors.

Last night at 1st Summit Arena @ Cambria County War Memorial, the long-awaited charity game took place between the Johnstown Warriors and the Johnstown Generals. The charity game was in honor of raising money for the Sutt family, who recently lost their father, Eric E. Sutt. Eric was tragically killed at the young age of 34 after an ATV accident last September.

The word about the charity game was released on Facebook on October 14th by Generals defenseman, owner, and alternate captain, John Kovac. The word quickly spread, even getting noticed in the paper by The Tribune-Democrat. A total of 1,250 tickets available for the general public, with a donation of any amount to the Sutt family, granted you access to the exhibition.

Both teams came out for a five-minute pregame skate. The Generals would be coming out in their white jerseys as their opponents, the Warriors would come out in their red jerseys.

Zane Sutt dropped the puck before the game and received a team signed Generals jersey following the ceremonial puck-drop.

After pregame festivities were all set and done, 7:15 pm is when we would see the game officially get underway. The Generals would get the game rolling with the first shot on goal for the game. Both teams started off playing aggressive hockey from the start, but we would remain scoreless after five minutes into the period.

Minutes later, however, the Warriors would sneak one past Kevin Yingling to get the game's first goal. Number 17 on the Warriors would score, as it was a 1-0 game for the Warriors.

Moments later, number 27 on the Warriors would score to make it a 2-0 Warrior contest.

Ten minutes remaining in the first period, we would have another goal. The Warriors would score once again to make it a 3-0 game. Number 17 would get his second goal of the game halfway through the period.

Later on, with 4:05 left, number 50 on the Warriors (wearing a Johnstown Trojans jersey) would make the game 4-0, Warriors.

Generals captain Ben Urban would make some sneaky moves with the puck minutes later, but it would remain a 4-0 Warriors lead after the first period.

Shots on goal were 10-8 for the Warriors.

Goalies and teams would switch sides for period number two. After a very short intermission, the second 20 minute period was underway. The Generals would be looking for some answers as the Warriors would go into the second trying to keep their shutout intact.

The shutout would end for the Warriors as at the five-minute mark of the second, Johnstown Generals' number 2, Winger, would score to make it a 4-1 hockey game. The score remains the same halfway through the second period, with the shots on goal total reach 17-14 for the Warriors.

The scored would remain 4-1 Warriors at the end of the second period. Shots on goal after 40 minutes were 22-19 for the Generals.

The third period was underway, and the Generals were looking for answers for a possible comeback. For the Warriors, the main focus was to keep the lead for the final 20 minutes.

Five minutes into the third period is when we would see the Warriors lead cut in half. Captain, Ben Urban would score for the Generals on a breakaway to make it a 4-2 game with plenty of hockey left to play.

We would have a stoppage of play with 9:48 remaining in the period as Warriors player number 27 would be sent to the box for roughing. The Generals would be on the man advantage for the next three minutes of the period (due to running game clock). Thirty seconds later, Ben Urban would score the generals' power-play goal to make the score 4-3.

3:27 remaining in the game, and a goal would be called off for the Warriors because of goalie interference. It was still a 4-3 Warriors game with minutes remaining.

The Generals would call a timeout minutes later, with only 44.9 seconds left in the game. Yingling would be pulled in the process of that timeout, putting the Generals up a man on the ice.

Though the Generals had the man advantage, that wouldn’t be enough as the game would end in the Johnstown Warriors favor, 4-3. Final shots on goal were 31-26 for the Generals.

Definitely, a fun game to watch from start to finish as both teams come to center ice and shake hands after an amazing charity game contest.

The final buzzer would sound at 8:24 pm.

Up next for the Generals will be the Inaugural Veterans Day Tournament, which will take place on Friday, November 13th, and will run through Sunday, November 15th. We will be on the scene of the tournament and watch the Generals and many other teams take the ice.

Players from both the Johnstown Generals and the Johnstown Warriors meet at center ice after their Charity game on October 28 2020.

128 views0 comments